Elections & Enrolment

Our City is made up of a number wards, which are each represented on Council by a set number of Councillors. Your ward is your local area for voting purposes and is based on where you live. Council Elections occur every four years and at the time of the Election all of the positions are declared vacant and our next periodic election is due in November 2018. 

The Principal Member of Council will be elected as Mayor, and seventeen Ward Councillors will be elected from our seven wards.

During 2016 we undertook a review of the size, structure and composition of the wards as we are required to do every eight years. This time around, the review resulted in a couple of minor ward boundary changes which will come into effect for the 2018 Council election.

The adjustments affect Semaphore Ward, Port Adelaide Ward and Parks Ward. The entire suburb of Glanville will now be within the Port Adelaide Ward, the entire suburb of Birkenhead will now be within the Semaphore Ward and the entire suburb of Ottoway will be located in the Parks Ward.

Participating in your council election is one of the most direct ways that you can make a difference to everyday life in your local community.

Brochures are available in other languages;

Tiếng Việt - Vietnamese Brochure 简体中文 - Chinese Simplified Brochure
Ελληνικά - Greek Brochure العربية - Arabic Brochure
Italiano - Italian Brochure Punjabi Brochure

Enrol to Vote in LG Election 2018

Enrol to Vote

Enrol to vote by 5pm Friday 10 August 2018

Voting in Council elections is open to a broader range of people than State and Federal elections. Even if you are not an Australian citizen, and not on the State (House of Assembly) electoral roll you can vote in a Council election, as long as you are above 18 years of age and have lived in the Council area for more than one month. You can also vote in a Council election if you own a rateable property in the area, regardless of whether you live in it.

Another important difference is that businesses and bodies corporate can vote in Council elections.

The voters' roll for Council elections consists of two components - the House of Assembly (State) roll, and the Council supplementary roll.

If you have moved house or changed your name please update your details on the House of Assembly Roll via the link below.

Electoral Commission of SA - Enrol or Change Details on State House of Assembly Roll

If you are not enrolled on the House of Assembly roll you may be eligible to enrol on Council's supplementary roll if:

  • You have been a resident at your current address for one month and are not on the State Electoral Roll
  • You are a sole owner/occupier of rateable property
  • You are NOT an Australian Citizen but you have been a resident at your current address for one month
  • You are a landlord for a rateable property
  • You are an organisation/business owner

If any of the above circumstances apply to you and you wish to vote in the Council elections please complete an enrolment form and return to Council. Enrolment forms are available on the left of the screen.

Nominate for Council Election


If you are eligible to vote in your local Council elections, you are probably eligible to stand for a position on Council.

With very few exceptions (such as being an undischarged bankrupt, or being disqualified from holding office by a court order), you can nominate for a position on Council regardless of qualifications, religion, race, gender, experience or profession.

In fact, Council's acitively encourage nominations from people from diverse backgrounds to ensure that a wide range of views are being represented.

Nominations for the 2018 Local Government elections open Tuesday 4 September 2018 and close on Tuesday 18 September 2018 at 12 noon. If you want to nominate you will need to complete and lodge a nomination form during this time.

You will also be required to lodge a 150 word candidate profile and a 'head shoulders' photograph which will be published on a candidates' website.

The 2018 candidate resources will become available in July 2018 and this will outline the requirements and nomination process.


Vote in Your Council Election


Voting in the Council election is done by post.

If you are on the State (House of Assembly) electoral roll or have completed an enrolment form to join Council's supplementary roll, you will receive a voting pack in the mail in late October 2018.

The ballot paper in your voting pack will show the candidates standing for election in your Council ward. To find out more about each of the candidates and what they stand for go to the council elections candidate website, then complete your ballot paper and return it in the reply paid envelope.

Votes must be received before 5pm on Friday 9 November 2018.

Make a difference by participating in your Council election.


Authorised by: Mark Withers

Chief Executive Officer

PO Box 110



Ph: 8405 6600




For further information on this topic, or if you have any questions, please call our helpful Customer Services team on 8405 6600 or email us at service@cityofpae.sa.gov.au.
Copyright (c) 2015 City of Port Adelaide Enfield