Mandatory Building Notifications
The Development Act requires notification at certain stages during building work construction to be given to Council. Notification of the following stages of building work must be given to the Council:
- one business days notice of commencement of building work on the site;
- one business days notice of completion of structural steel reinforcement for concrete footings or other floors;
- one business days notice of intended completion of wall framing prior to installation of linings;
- one business days notice of the completion of all roof framing forming part of the building work prior to the installation of the roof covering (including top and bottom chord restraints, bracing and tie-downs);
- one business days notice of intended completion of any fire walls, fire rated separation or smoke barriers, prior to the installation of linings or other building components rendering inspection not possible (if any); and
- one business days notice of completion of the building work.
The person who gives the notice of roof framing (excluding portal framing) must, within 1 business day after the notice is given, provide to the Council a duly completed building supervisor's checklist. The checklist must be completed and signed by a registered building work supervisor, who has undertaken the required training recognised under a scheme approved by the Minister.
A person must not conceal any completed roof framing until after the expiration of 2 clear business days after the notification has been received by the Council.
Notification does not apply if-
- the building is a Class 10 building under the Building Code of Australia, other than where the Class 10 building is attached to any part of the roof framing of a building of another class; or
- the building is a transportable building.
Methods of Notifying Council
Notification of the building work stages can be given to Council by:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: (08) 8405 6756
- Online Building Notification
- Leaving a written notice with duly authorised officer of the Council
When notifying Council, Development Application Number, Site Address and Contact details (name and telephone number) must be provided.
One business day’s notice of the completion of safety barriers (prior to the pool being filled with water).
Verandahs or Carports attached to the roof framing of a building
One business day’s notice for intended completion of all roof framing and fixings to the supporting roof used to attach the structure.