Littering and Illegal Dumping

Littering and illegal dumping pollutes the environment and diminishes the use, enjoyment and value of public places. Rubbish can spread disease, encourage pests, pollute water systems and harm wildlife. Illegal dumping impacts on amenity, health and carries large clean-up costs for private landowners, Council and State Government.

From 1 February 2017 South Australian Councils have a new regulatory role in littering and dumping of rubbish.

What is litter?

Litter can be any object disposed of by a person, either onto land or into any waters way whether by a pedestrian, from a vehicle, or from a premise.

Types of litter

General Litter

Any solid or liquid domestic or commercial waste including but not limited to:

  • Beverage containers
  • Chewing gum
  • Cigarettes or cigarette butts
  • Clothing, footwear or personal items
  • Dead or diseased animals
  • Demolition and building material
  • Food or food scraps
  • Furniture
  • Green waste
  • Machinery or equipment
  • Packaging
  • Vehicles or vehicle parts

Class A Hazardous Litter

  • Asbestos or items containing asbestos

(Any combination of class A hazardous litter and general litter)

Class B Hazardous Litter

  • Live cigarettes or cigarette butts
  • Used syringes
  • Glass

(Any combination of class B hazardous litter and general litter)

How to report littering and illegal dumping?

Residents can report cases of littering from vehicles by downloading the free ‘DOB IN A LITTERER’ app or via the Dob In A Litterer website.

(Please remember: it is an offence to use a mobile phone while driving).

To report illegal dumping on public or private land please contact Council by calling Customer Service on 8405 6600.

What are the penalties for littering?

Maximum penalty:

Class A hazardous litter (any amount)
Body corporate: $250,000
Natural person: $120,000 or imprisonment for 2 years

Class B hazardous litter/general litter 50 litres or more
Body corporate: $60,000
Natural person: $30,000 or imprisonment for 6 months

Class B hazardous litter up to 50 litres

General litter up to 50 litres

Expiation Fee:

Class B hazardous litter/general litter 50 litres or more

Class B hazardous litter up to 50 litres

General litter up to 50 litres


Do I need to register my details before I can lodge a report?
Yes. Reports can only be made by a person who has registered.

Will my details remain confidential?
Your details will only be visible to staff administering the Dob In A Litterer program, and under most circumstances will remain confidential. If a litter report is contested and goes to court, you may be requested to act as a witness to the offence. If this occurs, your details may become known to others, including the alleged offender – however this will not occur without your knowledge and approval.

Will I need to attend court as a witness?
If a matter is challenged by an alleged offender, the EPA will assess all available evidence to determine whether a successful prosecution is likely. A key component of any successful prosecution is observations of witnesses. On this basis, if a matter goes to court you may be contacted and asked to attend to confirm the details of the report.

What information do I need to collect to submit a successful report?
Alleged offenders vehicle details – including licence plate number, make/model and colour, whether the alleged offender was the driver or passenger, the location of the offence, time/date or the offence, type of litter, other information such as the offenders appearance.

Can I report littering that is NOT associated with a vehicle?
The Dob In A litterer program has been designed specifically to capture littering from vehicles (including trailers). Council will be able to assist you with reporting illegal dumping in circumstances not covered by the program.

How soon should I report littering that I’ve observed via the Dob In a Litterer program?
Ideally, reports should be lodged as soon as possible and preferably on the same day that the offence was observed. Reports must be lodged within 14 days of the date of the alleged offence.

Under with circumstances will a litter report NOT be accepted?
A report made through the Dob In A Litterer program will not be accepted if:

- the person reporting the litter is not a registered user of the Dob In A Litterer program
- insufficient information is provided
- information provided about the offenders vehicle does not closely match registered vehicle details (i.e. wrong make of car, wrong colour, wrong registration details)
- it is suspected that the report was false or vexatious

What if I am unable to determine the make of a vehicle for the purpose of a litter report?
If you do not know the make of a vehicle you want to report for littering, you can select ‘UNSURE’ from the drop down menu. This will not stop the EPA from issuing an expiation notice, provided the other details match the registered vehicle.

What if someone makes a false report?
A person that makes a false or misleading report may be liable to prosecution, with a maximum penalty of $20,000. If the EPA determines a person has made a false report, in addition to prosecution that person may be deregistered from the Dob In A Litterer program.

What happens if the person who did the littering is not the owner of the vehicle?
If the disposal of the litter occurs from a vehicle, the registered owner of that vehicle is taken to have committed the offence and will receive the expiation. The registered owner will can nominate the person that littered by completing a statutory declaration.

What kind of littering can I report?
Any litter discarded, deposited, blowing or falling from a vehicle can be reported. This included cigarette butts, food packaging and drink containers etc.

What happens to the reports I lodge?
Your report is automatically submitted to the EPA, which reviews the content and compares the vehicle description provided with registered ownership details. If the registration details are matched and verified and the report appears valid, an expiation notice will be issued to the vehicle owner.

Where can I find more details about the Dob In A Litterer program?
More information on the Dob In A Litterer program can be found on the EPA website

Can I expect any feedback on my report?
Due to the volumes of litter reports received, EPA are unable to give direct feedback on reports. Generally the only time a reporter will receive feedback is when the alleged offender challenges the allegation, resulting in the matter going to court, or if it is determined that a report is deliberately false.

Abandoned Trolleys

Collection of abandoned trolleys is most efficiently coordinated with the business that owns the trolley. The below table is provided to assist residents to arrange efficient collection of abandoned trolleys.

Coles, Kmart, Target, Bunnings Warehouse & Officeworks
Call - 1800 TROLLEY

Kilburn - 8360 3700

North Haven - 8249 7000
Port Adelaide – 8447 4244
Rosewater – 8447 1524
Sefton Plaza - 8169 3200
Semaphore - 8241 4000
Valley View - 8263 1422

Woolworths, Big W, IGA & Target
1800 641 497

Abandoned o-Bikes

To arrange retrieval of an abandoned o-bike please email or call o-bike on 0452 512 453 and let them know of the abandoned bikes location. They will arrange collection within 48 hours.

For further information on this topic, or if you have any questions, please call our helpful Customer Services team on 8405 6600 or email us at
Copyright (c) 2015 City of Port Adelaide Enfield