Support at home

Do you need help or assistance around the home? Eligible residents can access entry-level support services to help them live in their home as long as possible and enjoy positive wellbeing and social connections.

Do you need support around the home?

The City of PAE provides entry-level support services for older people who live independently in their own home and don’t need higher levels of care. We provide these services to eligible residents who are over the age of 65 and to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander residents over the age of 55. The services are funded by the Commonwealth Home Support Program.

The aim of our service is to help people live in their home for as long as possible and to enjoy positive wellbeing and social connections.

Who is eligible for our support services?

Older people who are able to live and cope on their own and don’t yet need higher levels of support at home are eligible for our services.

As well as helping you, this program can help your carer. If your carer needs to run errands, we can arrange for someone to support you while they are away. Read more in our Community Services information sheet.

What types of services are provided?

  • Social: The Social Support Groups aim to provide social and recreational opportunities for older people. Transport and a meal are provided.
  • Transport: Assistance for people to get out and about for shopping or appointments. Home Support Vans are able to assist with door-to-door transport to shops, social programs and outings for residents who are unable to drive or access public transport. Residents can access transport to the doctors, hospitals and specialist appointments. Transport is one way to the appointment.
  • Domestic assistance: Cleaning can be provided around the home to assist with tasks such as vacuuming, mopping, bathroom cleaning and dusting. Residents may also be eligible for a yearly spring clean to assist with additional jobs outside of those offered in the short-term service.
  • Shopping assistance: Assistance can be provided to residents who are having difficulty with their shopping needs. Shopping may be escorted or via a shopping list.
  • Home maintenance: Minor general repair and care of your house or yard (for example, changing light bulbs, smoke detector batteries or replacing tap washers) as well as gutter cleaning or window cleaning.
  • Home modifications: Minor installation of safety aids such as alarms, ramps and support rails in your home. This service is completed in conjunction with assessment and diagrams by a separate Occupational Therapist service.

How do I apply?

1. Book a home support assessment

To get support at home, you’ll need a home support assessment, which is conducted by My Aged Care. To book an assessment or to talk through your options, visit the My Aged Care website or call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.

2. Contact our Community Services Team

Once you have received your home support assessment and qualify for help at home, give our Community Services Team a call on 8405 6804.

Information sheets in other languages

Our Community Services information sheet is also available in other languages

Aged Care Standards

The City of PAE Community Services team respects the rights of our consumers to receive individually tailored services appropriate to their needs.

Under the Aged Care Standards, service providers need to:

  • Give you information about your services
  • Speak with you about any changes to these services
  • Respect your privacy and dignity
  • Handle your concerns or complaints fairly and confidentially

The Standards also make sure that you can choose someone to speak on your behalf (an advocate) if you have any concerns or complaints.

What to do if you have any concerns

If you, your carer or anyone else is concerned about the care or services that you received, it is important that you discuss this first with your service provider.

If, after discussion with the service provider, you do not believe the service provider is meeting their obligations, or that the care and services you are receiving are not appropriate to the level of funding you are receiving for the Home Care Package or services through the Commonwealth Home Support Programme, you can contact the National Aged Care Advocacy Program or the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner.