History of PAE

The City of PAE has a long history, and our peoples and suburbs have played an important part in the development of our state. In March 1996 the City of Enfield amalgamated with the City of Port Adelaide to become the City of Port Adelaide Enfield.

Located on Kaurna Country

An understanding of Kaurna history and knowledge is integral to the history and cultural development of the Port Adelaide Enfield area. Kaurna people have occupied the lands we now know as Port Adelaide for thousands of years, and the region is of great importance for Aboriginal people. The Kaurna people called the land around the Port River Yertabulti (Yerta meaning place or land, and Bulti meaning sleep or death).

The Wirra Kaurna, a northern tribe, occupied land on the eastern bank of the Port River, while the Port River Tribe resided on the western bank of the river, with their territory stretching from West Lakes to the tip of the Lefevre Peninsula, and from Glanville to the sea. The Port River Tribe’s totem was Kudlyo, the Black Swan.

The coastline in PAE forms part of the Tjilbruke Dreaming Trail, along which Kaurna man Tjilbruke carried the body of his slain nephew from the place that is now Kingston Park, to the tip of the (Fleurieu) Peninsula. At each place where the grieving giant stopped to shed tears, a freshwater spring welled from the ground.

Lartelare Reserve in New Port marks the birthplace of Kaurna woman Latelare. It is a significant site for her family, the Port Adelaide Aboriginal community, the Kaurna People and culturally and historically for all Australians. The park seeks to reclaim that history through the stories passed by mother to daughter over four generations from Lartelare to Aunty Veronica Brodie – a rare unbroken link in Indigenous history.

Critical to the development of South Australia

Port Adelaide is a historic area which was central to the colonisation of South Australia dating right back to its inception in 1836 when Colonel William Light first sailed up the Port River. Port Adelaide has been the gateway to trade and commerce in South Australia and the first contact with South Australia for thousands of emigrants when they arrived by ship.

Enfield was predominantly a farming area, with fertile country along the River Torrens and wheat and grain fields in its northern reaches. The area also boasts Sunnybrae Farm, the site of the first waterborne sewerage system in Australia; Yatala Gaol; the Sir Ross and Keith Smith England to Australia flight landing site; and Klemzig, where German immigrants fleeing persecution in Prussia established a village.

Historic timeline of PAE:

  • On 19 April 1831 Captain Collet Barker first sighted the Port River Inlet
  • In December 1836 Colonel William Light sailed up the Port River proclaiming, 'There was no safer place or more commodious harbour in the world for merchant ships.'
  • On 14 October 1840 a new landing place at the end of what is now Commercial Road was officially opened and for a while was known as the New Port, to differentiate it from the original landing place at the intersection of today's Old Port Road and Webb Street which became known as the Old Port
  • On 25 May 1837 the Port River estuary was proclaimed a legal port by Governor Hindmarsh
  • In 1853, an area of around 130km extending from Salisbury in the north to the River Torrens in the east and adjoining Port Adelaide in the west, including the villages of Enfield, Prospect, Klemzig and Walkerville, was incorporated in the District Council of Yatala. The land was first surveyed in 1837, but was not fully realised until the late 1840–50s because of limited fresh water
  • In 1855 the Village of Walkerville separated from Yatala to become the District Council of Walkerville
  • On 27 December 1855 Port Adelaide was declared a Corporate Town
  • In July 1868 Yatala was divided into Yatala South and Yatala North, with any land south of Dry Creek becoming Yatala South
  • In 1884 the District Council of Portland Estate amalgamated with the Corporate Town of Port Adelaide
  • In 1886 the District Council of Birkenhead amalgamated with the Corporate Town of Port Adelaide
  • In August 1872 the Village of Prospect separated from Yatala to become the District Council of Prospect
  • In 1898 the District Councils of Queenstown and Alberton amalgamated with the Corporate Town of Port Adelaide
  • In 1899 the District Council of Rosewater amalgamated with the Corporate Town of Port Adelaide
  • On 13 November 1900 the Corporate Town of Semaphore amalgamated with the Corporate Town of Port Adelaide
  • On 23 May 1901 Port Adelaide was proclaimed a City by the Governor, Lord Tennyson, to become the City of Port Adelaide
  • In July 1935 Yatala South was renamed the District Council of Enfield
  • In April 1944 the District Council of Enfield became the Municipality of Enfield
  • In January 1953 the Municipality of Enfield became the City of Enfield