Hold an event

Thinking about organising a community event within the City of PAE? This page will help you access the relevant services and best practice guidelines for running successful events.

We can help you run a successful event

If you would like to run a community event within the City of Port Adelaide Enfield, we recommend that you start by reading our Special events information kit.

It will explain how to access relevant services, plus take you through best practice guidelines for conducting professional and successful events. The kit also contains a range of special events forms and a guide to risk management planning. It’s important to know that organisers must ensure that a proposed event meets SA Health requirements. This information is included in the information kit.

Event grants

We provide grants and financial and in-kind support to organisations that are holding festivals and other special events that generate tourism activity and increase the public profile of PAE. We’re looking to support events that:

  • Benefit local businesses
  • Attract tourists and visitors
  • Celebrate social and cultural diversity
  • Activate our places
  • Acknowledge cultural and sporting occasions

Event FAQs

Depending on the location and size of your event, you may need one or more permits.

There are many reserves, parks, gardens and sporting grounds throughout the City of PAE which have been designed with recreational activities in mind. These spaces are perfect for gatherings with family, friends and the community.

To hold an event on any of our public reserves or roads, you’ll need to ask our permission and complete an application form for a permit.

Community halls are unstaffed venues that are available for either casual hire or regular hire. Some of our halls are suitable for one-off private functions as well as for regular meetings and dance, wellbeing and exercise classes held by community groups or organisations, while other halls are only available for regular group events

Each hall has air conditioning and heating, kitchen facilities and wheelchair access. All halls have one disabled toilet (except for the Klemzig Community Hall, which has two), and some also have onsite car parking.

Whether you need an outdoor venue for a community gathering or an idyllic space to hold a wedding, there are a number of privately owned venues in our city that are available for hire for events both big and small. Try Glanville Hall, Hart's Mill, Sunnybrae Estate, or the Parks Theatre complex. Contact the owners directly to make a booking. PAE's own Klemzig Community Hall is also a popular choice for special events.

The Port River is part of the Adelaide Dolphin Sanctuary and is protected under the Adelaide Dolphin Sanctuary Act 2005.

The presence of the sanctuary has wide implications for any event being conducted on water. There are a range of river stakeholders that you’ll need to consult as part of your preliminary event planning:

The Port Adelaide Waterfront Precinct offers a range of locations suitable for staging events.

The public areas of the waterfront precinct (Hart’s Mill, Cruickshanks Corner, Black Diamond (Lighthouse) Square and Lartelare Park) are managed by RenewalSA.

A dry area is a public area in the City of Port Adelaide Enfield where you can't have unsealed containers of alcohol. They're clearly signposted with No Alcohol signs and are enforced by the police.

We sometimes also apply a short-term dry zone to an area to support alcohol-free events, such as our New Year’s Eve celebration.

If you’re planning a community event and would like some extra promotion, we can help. Our quarterly publication, PAE Today, features an event listing, and you can also submit an event for inclusion in the What's On page on our website.

If we have provided funding for an event, a representative from the council (usually the Mayor) will be informed of the event and invited to attend. If you’d like the Mayor or another representative to make a speech at your event, please complete the form below.