Roads, streets and parking services

Find out about roadworks and road closures, request street maintenance, request a new sign, and more.

Roads and streets in the City of PAE

The City of Port Adelaide Enfield is responsible for the construction and maintenance of civil infrastructure. This includes roads, footpaths, streetscapes and stormwater, as well as reserves and parks and gardens for residents and visitors to use and enjoy.

The integrity of the road network is maintained by a regular reseal and maintenance program, and roads that are beyond rehabilitation are reconstructed. Our road construction and maintenance programs are principally financed from rate revenue and government funding.

There are a total of 687 km of local roads and 142 km of arterial roads. Arterial roads fall under the care and control of the Department of Infrastructure and Transport DIT (the State Government).

If you have an enquiry or maintenance request regarding any of the DIT roads, give the DIT Traffic Management Centre a call on 1800 018 313 or email

See all roads maintained by DIT
List of DIT roads within the City of PAE

Local Area Traffic Management scheme

We’re committed to working with our community to provide a safe and efficient road network. To achieve this, we’ve endorsed a program of Local Area Traffic Management (LATM) schemes across the entire City of PAE.

These schemes help us plan and manage how roads are used within a traffic area. We use physical devices, streetscaping treatments and other measures to influence vehicle operation, so that we can create safer and more pleasant streets in local areas. This enables us to look at the overall traffic management of a specific area, rather than developing solutions on a ‘street by street’ basis.

The biggest benefit of an LATM is that the community helps to develop the scheme in collaboration with experienced traffic engineering practitioners, which means the final scheme incorporates your views to deliver the best possible outcome for our community.

View the LATM schedule and map Explore LATM projects

Road and street FAQs

For information about temporary road closures on non-arterial roads for community events and activities, please visit our public notices page.

For information about current roadworks and road closures, visit Traffic SA.

Street maintenance ranges from patching potholes with bitumen all the way through to resealing roads when more substantial repairs are required. In addition, we co-ordinate our regular street sweeping program with our grass cutting programs.

Request street maintenance

We install and maintain parking and street name signs on council roads (non-arterial), and we install traffic signs to ensure safe and accessible roads for vehicle movement. Refer to the Online Services website to report damage to any parking, street or traffic signs.

We are, thanks to the Local Government Act 1999. We’re allowed to assign a new name or change the name of any road or public place.

Visit our policies page to read our Road Naming and Numbering Policy and Road Naming and Numbering Guidelines.

We are, thanks to the Local Government Act 1999, which gives us the power to adopt a numbering system for buildings and allotments adjoining a road. From time to time, we are also permitted to change or substitute the numbers.

Assigning street numbers is important, because it helps the public and emergency services quickly locate the right property.

It’s an offence for a landowner to use a number different from the one we chose. The maximum penalty is $2,500. It’s also an offence if a landowner, at our request, does not display the appropriate number in a form that we direct or approve. The maximum penalty is $750 and the expiation fee is $105.

Visit our policies page to read our Road Naming and Numbering Policy and Road Naming and Numbering Guidelines.

Except for in a few circumstances, SA Power Networks maintains all street lights. Please report faulty street lights via the SA Power Networks website or by calling their Faults and Emergencies number on 131 366.

Report faulty street lights

Cars, traffic and parking FAQs

An abandoned vehicle is a vehicle that has been left in the street and remains unclaimed by the registered (or last known registered) owner. The vehicle must not have moved within a two-week period.

If the vehicle is parked legally and the owner lives in the area, the vehicle is not considered abandoned, and we can’t investigate it.

To report a vehicle that may have been abandoned, make sure that you know its exact location and that it has not moved for two weeks, and then call us on 8405 6600.

If the vehicle is unregistered, give SAPOL a call on 131 444. Only the police have the authority to expiate an owner if the vehicle is unregistered.

If you see a vehicle parked illegally in the City of PAE, give our team a call on 8405 6600. You can report an illegally parked car between 7am and 7pm, seven days a week. Our Community Safety Officers (Inspectors) will then undertake the required enforcement.

If you’d like to report traffic management issues on a road that’s owned by the City of PAE, you can raise a request for a traffic control investigation. We’ll investigate and, if necessary, do a traffic survey.

Traffic investigations can involve speeding vehicles, increased traffic volumes and regular breaches of the Australian Road Rules.

You can request a traffic control investigation for:

  • Reducing traffic volumes
  • Reducing speed limits
  • Installing road humps
  • Installing roundabouts
  • Closing a road

If the matter relates only to occasional speeding by a small number of drivers, please report it to SAPOL's Traffic Watch program on 131 444.

Request a traffic assessment

We’re aware that hoon driving is an issue throughout the City of PAE.

Though traffic calming devices can sometimes help, reckless and careless driving is a chosen driver behaviour and in many cases there are no engineering solutions to deter hoon driving. Police enforcement is always the most effective deterrent for these types of drivers.

If you witness any speeding incidents or dangerous road behaviour, report it immediately to SAPOL's Traffic Watch program on 131 444, or via their website.

This program gives SAPOL intelligence on hoon drivers and repeat traffic offenders. If you can, provide details of the vehicle, the time and location of the event and a description of the behaviour. Patrols may be dispatched immediately for urgent matters, while other reports are dealt with via correspondence or added to traffic intelligence files.

We work in collaboration with schools to help them create a safe and efficient environment for school drop-offs and pick-ups. Congestion around schools is a common occurrence. Motorists and pedestrians need to be aware of their surroundings, abide by speed limits and parking restrictions, and use allocated crossings during this time.

If you see any vehicles illegally parked around a school, give us a call on 8405 6600 to ask for a school patrol. Our Community Safety Officers (Inspectors) will schedule patrols as resources permit.

Heavy vehicles

A heavy vehicle means different things dependent on whether you are referring to it on private land, or on the road. A heavy vehicle for private land means any vehicle having a tare weight in excess of 3,000 kilograms. A heavy vehicle for road traffic offences means any vehicle having a gross vehicle mass (GVM) of over 4.5 tonnes or over 7.5metres in length.

This is regulated under the Australian Road Rules and all heavy vehicles must be parked appropriately. A heavy or long vehicle (truck) must not park for longer than 1 hour in built up area. If parked contrary to the Australian Road Rules, fines may apply.

The driver of a heavy vehicle or long vehicle must not stop on a length of road in a built-up area for longer than 1 hour.

Note that:

  • Heavy vehicle - means a vehicle with a GVM of over 4.5 tonnes. GVM refers to the maximum loaded mass of the vehicle
  • Long vehicle - refers to a vehicle that, together with any load or projection, is 7.5 metres long or longer.

The parking of a heavy vehicle on residential land is unlikely to be approved, due to the adverse impacts that can occur to local neighbourhood amenity with respect to:

  • Noise from the vehicle travelling to and from the property, as well as engine idling;
  • Damage caused to Council infrastructure due to the road not being designed to support heavy vehicles;
  • Appearance of the vehicle on the site – the parking of a heavy vehicle within the yard is not the typical norm in a residential locality. For these reasons, customers are encouraged to seek an alternative location for parking of their truck, such as within an industrial area or other approved location.

Should you wish to seek approval for heavy vehicle parking on private land, you must complete a development application. Your application package must be prepared and submitted in accordance with the planning rules. Visit Plan SA to submit a development application.

The application may be subject of public notification, and lodgement and assessment fees are payable. However, as noted above, the parking of a heavy vehicle on residential land is unlikely to be supported.