The City of Port Adelaide Enfield has 17 Elected Members representing seven wards, and the Mayor who represents the whole of Council. While there is an estimated total of 124,731 residents, there are approximately 82,987 Electors who are eligible to vote in Council Elections. The median age of our residents is 37 years, and it is estimated that more than 40,000 or our residents were born overseas.
The Enfield Ward includes the suburbs of Blair Athol, Broadview, Clearview, Enfield, Kilburn, Manningham and part of Sefton Park. Before European settlement, the area that is now known as Enfield was covered with an abundance of pine trees. In 1840, a 35 year old labourer named George Hickox came to Adelaide from Worthing in Sussex. Hickox applied for a land grant, which served as permission to buy land and with the grant he purchased land which included much of what is now Enfield. The area now known as Kilburn was originally known as Chicago. Being lower lying, it was not a favoured area for settlement and was prone to flooding.
There are numerous historic landmarks around the Enfield ward, including the majestic property at Barton Vale, Enfield, St Clement's Church in Blair Athol and a more recent memorial to Dr Bennett in Manningham. Enfield Cemetery also offers insight into the evolving history of our City. It features separate sections including the RSL and Children's Garden as well areas catering for many denominations including Anglican, Buddhist, Catholic, Lutheran, Muslim and Orthodox.
Community Centres are the heart of our community! Both the Kilburn and Enfield Community Centres are located in the Enfield ward, and offer a range of programs and activities to suit all tastes and interests. From programs for new migrants, strength exercises and social programs for seniors, luncheons, art and craft groups and playgroups, our centres offer them all.
A diverse range of new businesses have sprung up along Prospect Rd. A trip to this multicultural strip allows visitors to sample a host of culinary delights including fresh warm Turkish flatbread and coffee, African curries and Vietnamese pho. Public art has also been installed along this bustling main road.
Enfield Ward Map(PDF, 1186.78 KB)
The Klemzig Ward includes the suburbs of Klemzig, Windsor Gardens, Holden Hill, Gilles Plains and part of Dernancourt. It is home to a large TAFE campus at Gilles Plains.
Settlement in the Gilles Plains and Holden Hill area dates from the 1840s, with land used mainly for grazing and hay growing. Much growth took place in the late 1800s. Klemzig's first inhabitants were German Lutherans, persecuted for their beliefs in Prussia under King Frederick William III. Assisted by George Fife Angas, the first group of 21 Lutherans arrived on the Bengalee in 1838, with a further 200 arriving on the Prince George, a journey that had taken 19 weeks. South Australian Colonists, pleased that labour was on its way had supported this by providing £350 for the journey. The colonists hoped the new arrivals would be placed individually throughout the colony where they were needed as carpenters or shearers but the Prussians wanted to remain as a community.
An important piece of the state's multicultural history can be found at the Klemzig Pioneer Cemetery, located on the corner of Second Avenue and Spring Grove. This cemetery was closed in the early 1860’s and subsequently reclaimed after the purchase of the land by the government. The Lutheran Church cared for and restored the cemetery, clearing it of brushwood and iron fencing. During the South Australian centennial year in 1986 a memorial to the pioneers was erected and unveiled by Governor George Winston Dugan. The cemetery was incorporated as the Klemzig Cemetery Trust in 1937.
The leafy and green environments of the Klemzig ward includes numerous reserves and open spaces that can be enjoyed by the whole family. Encouraging little ones to play in local parks is a fantastic way in which they can develop social skills, improve their confidence and maintain fitness. The reserve and hall, located at Lothian Ave, Windsor Gardens was named after reserve authority officer George Crawford. The hall itself is popular for community events and programs, and the park includes four courts, perfect for a family game of netball or tennis.
It would be easy to spend a day meandering along the Linear Park trail that runs from Klemzig to Dernancourt. The walk includes many scenic views and variations in elevation which makes the walk pleasant and relaxing. This area is also home to a number of large river red gums. While wandering though this area, stop to enjoy one of the recently completed activity nodes that feature playspaces, fitness equipment and bbq's for the family to enjoy. The equipment allows you to undertake a range of physical activities and are suitable for use by adults and older children. These interactive stations are located via Windsor Gve, Pittwater Drv or Ramsey Ave.
Klemzig Ward Map(PDF, 1058.57 KB)
The Northfield Ward includes the suburbs of Hampstead Gardens, Greenacres, Hillcrest, Northfield, Northgate, Oakden, and parts of Walkley Heights and Valley View.Lightsview is a development in Northgate that integrates a future town centre, pedestrian linkages, public transport, cycling routes and 15 hectares of public reserves.
The ward includes the state's largest prison, Yatala labour prison. Originally known as 'The Stockade', the prison opened in 1854 to enable prisoners to work at the nearby creek, quarrying rock for roads and construction. The name Yatala comes from the Weira group of the Kaurna Aboriginal people and means water running by the side of a river.
Also located in the Northfield Ward are the Adelaide women's prison and the Hampstead Rehabilitation Centre.
Stockade Park is a stunning public park, set in the midst of suburbia and spread over more than five hectares. The former quarry of the Stockade is now the site of a special sensory garden filled with colourful and aromatic plants and a 12 metre high waterfall tumbling over the cliff. Take a stroll and admire the extensive gardens or enjoy a relaxed picnic with family and friends.
LJ Lewis Reserve and Dog Park is situated just off Grand Junction Road, Northfield. The reserve is a haven of nature in the suburbs, where large open spaced areas are complemented by shady eucalypts and landscaped gardens. The park also features an off leash area for dogs.
The Valley View Par 3 Golf Course is set in the beautiful parklands of the Thomas Turner Reserve. It is an eighteen hole course wrapped around a gently sloping hill and it is ideal for players of all ages. There are many benefits to playing at Valley View. The shorter course means less walking, and you will take fewer strokes to go round, so it’s less tiring. This makes Valley View great for beginners, children and seniors.
Northfield Ward Map(PDF, 1147.15 KB)
The Outer Harbor Ward includes the suburbs of Outer Harbor, North Haven, Taperoo, Osborne and part of Largs North. Together these suburbs are located on the Lefevre Peninsula, a name given by Governor Hindmarsh in recognition of Sir John G Shaw- Lefevre, one of the South Australian Colonisation Commissioners.
The northern part of the Peninsula has a rich Aboriginal heritage, which has been acknowledged by the MY2 interpretive signage that has recently been installed through the area. Taperoo is thought to be named from an Aboriginal word meaning "calm".
Captain R. W. Osborne (1834-1920) was an early resident and well known Port Adelaide mariner who built Glen Ariff House, later known as Osborne House. Outer Harbor was originally a private subdivision of section 855, and was known as Outer Harbour until the spelling was officially changed to the American English version in 1913.
Mutton Cove is the name for a portion of conserved land on the eastern side of the Lefevre Peninsula. Mutton Cove was named after a saltmarsh estuary in Devonport, Plymouth and is considered an important wading bird habitat and a good site for observing raptors. Mutton Cove contains two shipwrecks; the Excelsior and Jupiter which were both dumped there around 1945. The remnants of both ships are visible from this location.
The Lefevre Community Stadium was built in 2010 and is located close to Osborne House and the Osborne Over 50s Club on Victoria Rd, in Taperoo. The stadium offers a range of programs and activities, including physical activity, dance and recreation programs for children, young people, adults and older people. The Lefevre Skate Park and reserve are also located on this site. Taperoo is home to Roy Marten Park which includes seperate dog parks for both large and small dogs.
Biodiversity Park is an area of more than 35 hectares, located near Pelican Point on the Lefevre Peninsula. The site is considered highly ecologically significant, supporting important flora and fauna communities and is one of the last land parcels on the Lefevre Peninsula that is dedicated to biodiversity preservation. Biodiversity Park is home to a number of reptile species, including significant numbers of Painted and Bearded Dragons. The park includes a hierarchy of walking trails, biodiversity signage, educational resources, bird watching areas and a discovery path, and also has disability access.
Outer Harbor Ward Map(PDF, 883.44 KB)
The Parks Ward is located in the central part of our city and includes the suburbs of Dry Creek, Ottoway, Wingfield, Gepps Cross, Mansfield Park, Angle Park, Woodville Gardens, Ferryden Park, Regency Park, Croydon Park, Dudley Park and Devon Park. Offering an array of restaurants, recreational grounds and native flora and fauna, the Parks Ward is one with a varied background with industry, business and education being highly prominent.
The Barker Inlet Wetlands forms part of a series of constructed wetlands and is a great way of seeing the world famous migratory wading birds as well as the local red-kneed dotterel, black-fronted dotterel and the red-capped plover. There is a viewing platform accessible from the car park on the northern side of the Port River Expressway at Gillman which offers visitors views of samphires and mud flats, with the mangrove forest beyond. Council offers summer night-time walks that are conducted on the second Friday of each month from October to January. Bookings are recommended and can be made at the Visitor Information Centre or by calling 8405 6560.
The Mainline Drive-In Theatre is located at Gepps Cross and is Adelaide’s last remaining drive-in theatre. It offers frequent screenings of the latest movies and transforms into the Gepps X Treasure Markets on Sundays. The Gepps X Treasure Market is the largest outdoor market in South Australia, selling a wide variety of fresh fruit and vegetables and second-hand goods. The markets are open every Sunday from 7am until 2pm.
YMCA South Australia, in partnership with the South Australian Government, opened the $28.7 million refurbished Parks Sports Centre in December 2013. The centre provides two swimming pools, a health club with a fully equipped gym, a two-court stadium, a crèche play club offering short-stay childcare for parents and guardians using the gym or aquatic facilities, two theatres, an art gallery space and lots more. The Parks Recreation and Sports Centre is located at 46 Cowan St, Angle Park.
Parks Ward Map(PDF, 2236.55 KB)
Port Adelaide Ward includes the suburbs of Alberton, Ethelton, New Port, Queenstown, Rosewater, Semaphore South, Port Adelaide and Gillman. Alberton is named after Prince Albert, Consort to Queen Victoria.
Have you seen the Port dolphins? Forming part of the world renowned Adelaide Dolphin Sanctuary, the Port River is one of a handful of places in the world where wild dolphins live within a major city.
Gillman has been the home of Motorcycle Speedway in Adelaide since 1981 when the North Arm Speedway opened. The North Arm Speedway closed in 1997 but the following year the Gillman Speedway, arguably Australia's best motorcycle speedway venue, opened on Wilkins Rd.
There are a host of interesting markets in the Port area, where you can grab a bargain or find a treasure, or a walk along the Anna Rennie Loop Path will take you past a number of the historic buildings in the Port Area.
Port Adelaide Ward Map(PDF, 2050.05 KB)
Semaphore Ward includes the suburbs of Glanville, Exeter, Semaphore, Birkenhead, Peterhead, Largs Bay and parts of Largs North.
Because of the heavy foot traffic through the coastal areas, Council pays special attention to maintaining a high standard for visitors and stabilising and protecting the coastal dune system. Lovely walking paths snake along the coastline meaning you can enjoy the scenic views on a continuous path.
The Semaphore Ward offers an array of activities and things to see and do. A fast-paced and lively atmosphere makes it a popular area to reside in or a destination well worth a visit. The Semaphore Foreshore offers traditional family attractions such as the historic carousel, ferris wheel, and waterslide. Summer is a busy time of year in Semaphore, the Summer Carnival and New Year's Eve and Australia Day Fireworks draw thousands to the area.
The National Railway Museum operates heritage steam train rides which run a 2km route along the coast during the warmer months. Please contact the museum for Semaphore to Fort Glanville Tourist Railway timetables.
Semaphore Ward Map(PDF, 915.71 KB)