Our City began as two separate cities, the City of Port Adelaide and the City of Enfield, each with their own diverse history.
Port Adelaide is an historic area which was formed parallel with the City of Adelaide and was central to the colonisation of South Australia. Port Adelaide has traditionally been the gateway for settlement, trade, shipping, commerce and (until the 1960s) immigration in the State. Port Adelaide's old colonial buildings near the wharves still remain and have been declared a State Heritage area.
In 1853 the area we now know as Enfield was part of the District Council of Yatala, and included areas of Walkerville, Prospect and Klemzig. The City of Enfield was formed in 1864. Until the 1940s Enfield was predominantly an agricultural area, with fertile country along the River Torrens and wheat and grain fields in its northern reaches. The area includes Klemzig, where German immigrants fleeing persecution in Prussia established a village in 1838, Sunnybrae Farm which was the site of the first waterborne sewerage system in Australia and the South Australian landing site of Sir Ross and Keith Smith.
The City of Port Adelaide Enfield was established in 1996, when the two cities amalgamated. Under Section 6 of the Local Government Act 1999, Council is established to provide for the government and management of its area at the local level.
The Council is one of the largest Councils in metropolitan Adelaide with its boundary extending from the River Torrens to Outer Harbor covering an area of about 97 square kilometres,
The City offers some of the State's finest historical buildings and landmarks, together with a wealth of parks, cultural facilities beaches and recreational areas.
Please refer to the related links if you are interested in obtaining further information on demographics, economic data and social information relevant to the City of Port Adelaide Enfield.