COVID-19 response

For the latest information about the City of PAE’s response to the COVID-19 situation please visit this page.

Dismiss alert

Roads and Streets

Council is responsible for the construction and maintenance of civil infrastructure which includes roads, footpaths, streetscapes, stormwater, reserves and parks and gardens for residents and visitors to use and enjoy.

The integrity of the road network is maintained by a regular reseal and maintenance program;roads that are beyond rehabilitation are reconstructed. Council's road construction and maintenance programs are principally financed from Council's general rate revenue and Government Funding.

There is a total of 687km of local roads and 142km of arterial roads which are under the care and control of Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure DPTI (State Government). If you have an enquiry or maintenance request regarding DPTI roads please contact DPTI Traffic Management Centre 1800 018 313 or

Map of roads maintained by DPTI(PDF, 1224.11 KB)

List of DPTI roads within the City(PDF, 5.14 KB)

Temporary Road Closures

Click here to view current road closures.


Individuals, contractors or organisations carrying out works on Council property, below is a list of service authorities that often work within the City of Port Adelaide Enfield. Please check these websites for possible work that may affect your area.


Telstra - Service Status


SA Power Networks

Traffic SA

Roadworks, Incidents & Planned Events in South Australia.

Traffic SA

Street Maintenance

Council undertakes maintenance such as patching of potholes with bitumen to resealing roads when more substantial repairs are required. Council also conduct regular street sweeping which is coordinated with our grass cutting programs. Visit Council's Online Services website& to request road maintenance or street sweeping.

eCouncil - Online Services

Street Signs

Council is responsible for the installation and maintenance of parking and street name signs on Council roads (non-arterial. Traffic signs are installed to ensure safe accessible roads for vehicle movement. Refer to Council's Online Services website to report damage to any parking, street or traffic signs.

eCouncil - Online Services

Street Naming

The Local Government Act 1999 enables the Council to assign a name, or change a name, of a road or public place. Visit Council's Policies page for the Street Naming Policy.

South Australian Legislation

Street Numbering

The Local Government Act 1999 enables the Council to adopt a numbering system for buildings and allotments adjoining a road. The Council is also permitted, from time to time, to alter or substitute the numbers.

A key objective in assigning street numbers is to avoid confusion in locating a property by the public and instrumentalities - particularly emergency services such as ambulance, police and fire brigade.

It is an offence for an owner of land to use a number that is inconsistent with a number adopted by the Council - maximum penalty: $2,500.

It is an offence if an owner of land, at the request of the Council, does not display the appropriate number in a form directed or approved by the Council - maximum penalty $750 - expiation fee: $105.

Visit Council's Policies to access/read the Street Numbering Policy.

South Australian Legislation

Street Lights

Except for in a few circumstances all street lights are maintained by SA Power Networks, not Council. Faulty street lights should be reported by visiting the SA Power Networks web site or by calling their Faults and Emergencies number on 131 366. Visit Council's Online Services website to request extra street lighting.

SA Power Networks

Online Services

Driveway Crossovers

Crossovers are the paved, asphalt or concrete link between the road and a property boundary. Every property is required to have a permanent crossover installed and it is the property owner's responsibility to construct and maintain their crossover to Council's specifications. Visit Council's Online Services website to request a quotation to construct or repair a crossover.

Online Services


Council undertakes to maintain safe and accessible footpaths which have non slip, all weather surfaces for users and aims to provide a footpath on at least one side of every residential street and upgrade pedestrian ramps to current Australian Standards. To report a damaged footpath, go to our Online Services page.

Online Services

Road Permits

Permits are required to conduct certain activities on Council land, such as roadways and footpaths.

If you wish to apply for a Permit the following MUST be provided:

  • Certificate of Currency (Public Liability Insurance Minimum $10 million)
  • Detailed site plan showing all activities and dimensions
  • Payment of a $31.00 Application fee

Applications can be made online via Council's Online Services website. Please use link below.

For further information or to make a payment please contact our Customer Relations Team on 8405 6600.

eCouncil - Online Services

Capital Works Construction

The Capital Works Construction Report includes a list of works programmed for the relevant financial year such as roads, footpaths, traffic works, bus stops, stormwater drainage and reserve construction. View a summary of current projectscurrent projects here.

Traffic Control

Driving activities such as burnouts, screaming brakes, engine revving, travelling at excessively high speed, or on the wrong side of the roadway is a nuisance and dangerous practice that can cause anxiety and concern amongst residents. Response to these activities falls within the role of the South Australian Police (SAPOL) 131444.

The City of Port Adelaide Enfield encourages residents to report hoon driving activities as they happen to the SAPOL Traffic Watch Program by telephoning 131 444. Should hoon activity continue on the same day, next week or at any time, residents are encouraged to repeatedly report each incident. This allows SAPOL to build a picture of where most of the hoon driving activity is occurring and to develop strategies that will best stop these activities in your street. The Police Office will ask for the following information:

  • The location of the driving activity;
  • The time of the driving activity;
  • The actual driving activities;
  • A description of the vehicle and if possible the registration number; and
  • Your personal information so SAPOL can contact you again.

The drivers will not be advised of your personal details. If SAPOL is able to prosecute the driver and that person makes an appeal, SAPOL may ask you to attend the court appeal to improve their case. Your attendance is voluntary.

You may call the Traffic Watch Program at any time to ask how the SAPOL response and investigation is proceeding.

There is little that the Council can do to prevent this activity. Installing traffic controls in local streets such speed plateaus, islands, medians, slow points and roundabouts are not effective against driving activities as they cannot be installed close enough to each other to prevent some of the activities. Instead, traffic controls can be used to deter drivers from using a particular street and / or reduce the speeds that most people will drive along the street.

Council will undertake a traffic control investigation including traffic counts, speed data, vehicle type, visit the site and obtain crash data to determine the extent of these activities. The traffic investigation will be used by us to decide whether the traffic issue is sufficient to consider installing traffic controls in the street. If this is the case a project bid will be prepared with the priority for funding based on the severity of the traffic issues. Visit Council's Online Services website to request a traffic control investigation.

Online Services

South Australian Police