Other Animals

Residents may wish to keep animals other than the more 'traditional' dog or cat.  A development application is required for the keeping of animals such as horses, sheep, goats, cattle, pigs, and donkeys. Please complete "Section 8 – Description of Development & Associated Detail" of the application form.  Other animals can cause problems for residents in our City, including rats, mice, wasps, bees and snakes and Council may be able to provide advice or assistance with these pests in some cases.


If you wish to keep a horse on your property, you are required to submit a development application.  Horse riding is permitted on Council's beaches between the hours of 5am and 8am. For further information on where horses can be ridden within the City please refer "Horses on the foreshore".

Horses on the foreshore(PDF, 179.85 KB)


Poultry includes chickens, roosters and hens.  Fowls often make popular hobby pets as they can produce eggs to feed the family.  However, it is important to ensure that they are properly cared for so that they do not cause health or other issues for owners or neighbours.  For information on keeping poultry, please refer to the "Poultry Guidelines".

Poultry guidelines(PDF, 57.98 KB)


Possums are protected native wildlife and come under the care and protection of the Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources of South Australia.

Residents are required to obtain a Trap and Release Protected Wildlife Permit to remove a possum from their property.

The City of Port Adelaide Enfield Council does not hire possum traps.

For enquires relating to trapping permits and/or where to obtain a possum trap please visit the Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources (State Government) website


Pests can cause problems in our communities. Council provides a service to residents to treat rodents, European wasps, bees and snakes. Please refer Councils "Pests" webpage for further information.