A number of historic and attractive buildings make up the Civic Precinct in Port Adelaide, where Council administration is located, as well as meeting and function rooms used for Council, Committee and other meetings.
Civic Centre - 163 St Vincent Street, Port Adelaide
Council's Civic Centre is located at 163 St Vincent St, Port Adelaide (Commercial Rd end, near the Lighthouse). There is limited parking available on St Vincent St, however the building has a second entrance and parking is available at the rear of the building, via Nile St. Angled 15 minute, one hour and two hour parking is available, as well as long term parking in a separate car park. Please note that the car park closest to the Fisherman's Wharf building is privately owned, and users must pay the designated fee to park in this area.
The Civic Centre incorporates the original Port Adelaide Town Hall, built in 1866 and the Port Adelaide Council Chambers constructed in 1939. The Civic Centre is the Council's main administrative building, and the site at which you can carry out Council Business, such as registering your dog, paying Council rates or submitting Development Applications. Please note that these activities can also be carried out at the Enfield and Greenacres Libraries.
The Civic Centre building was designed by Chris Loan, Heritage Architect, using much of the original architecture, and creating any necessary extensions in keeping with the heritage areas. The sensitive use of wood and lighting creates the feeling of an earlier era, while the modern office fixtures and state of the art technology promotes a modern and vital local government organisation.
Port Adelaide Enfield Town Hall- 34 Nile St, Port Adelaide
The Town Hall is located in a separate building, which was part of the Old Port Adelaide Court House. This building has been included on the Register of State Heritage items - originally built at a cost of 2,162 pounds. The walls are of Dry Creek bluestone base, with rendered cavity walls above. The new architraves have been painted in wood grain finish to match existing blackwood, ceilings have been repaired and/or replaced, and all match the original profiles. The skirtings have a dual purpose to conceal the data connections and power points. The Town Hall is primarily used for Civic events, meetings and training. This venue is not available for hire.
Port Adelaide Enfield Council Chambers- 62 Commercial Rd, Port Adelaide
The Council Chambers are what was previously the Old Port Adelaide Court House and are adjacent to the Town Hall. The Council Chambers are accessible from Commercial Rd. Monthly Council and Committee meetings occur in the Council Chambers, and members of the public are encouraged to attend. Agendas and minutes are available in time for each meeting. The basic design philosophy of this building has been to provide a council facility which allows for flexible use. It is possible, for example, to have concurrent use of the Council Chamber and Town Hall without public crossover, using the separate entrances. This venue is not available for hire.
Visitor Information Centre- 66 Commercial Rd, Port Adelaide
The Visitor Information Centre, Circa 1860, adjacent to the Council Chambers, was formerly the Port Adelaide Police Station until the early 1990’s. This building which features Italianate architecture, is listed on the National Trust and is also on the Register of State Heritage items. The entrance to this building is near the intersection of St Vincent St and Commercial Rd. The Visitor Information Centre is open seven days a week, closed Christmas Day.