Waste and Recycling
The City of Port Adelaide Enfield aims to provide efficient and effective waste management services for our community.
Recycling reuses valuable resources and composting garden and food waste enables reuse of nutrients. In this section you can find information on waste and recycling.
Please call the waste line free call 1800 777 844 within 24 hours to request return collection of a missed bin. If calling after 5pm, please leave a message that provides the bin type, address, name and phone number and leave the bin kerbside for collection.
Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) update
At the end of August, the Cities of Port Adelaide Enfield and Charles Sturt resolved to construct our own Material Recovery Facility (MRF). The exciting move to establish the MRF will enable our Councils to take control of management of the processing and disposal of our recyclable material, while adding value to the circular economy.
Since the Council resolution, we have been rapidly working through the process to make this happen and are now at a stage where we can provide an update on the project.
The following activities have been undertaken towards the establishment of the MRF:
- Formation of the project team, steering committee and working groups, including relevant charters.
- Engagement of relevant consultants to provide inputs to the development approval process. These cover a range of topics such as Traffic Management, Noise Pollution and Air Quality.
- Preparation of the planning application which is scheduled to be referred to the State Commission Assessment Panel (SCAP) shortly.
- Engagement with service authorities to arrange network upgrades required to provide sufficient utilities to the site.
- Completion of an audit of what goes into the yellow bins within the two Councils so we know what will be arriving at our facility to process.
- Commencement of investigations into the commodities markets that will be purchasing products our facility produces.
- Release of an Expression of Interest to determine the relevant players within the marketplace who will be tendering on the design and construction of the facility, including plant and equipment.
- Establishment of a regional subsidiary to oversee the facility endorsed by both Councils.
As we progress, we look forward to sharing more developments with our community in 2020.